Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Bakefest 2011!

We have been a little crazy in the kitchen over the past few days. It all started with our gumbo get together on Sunday evening. It has become a small tradition of ours to make a gumbo feast at least once every winter and invite all our friends to help us eat it. The plan was to have all my baking done before then, so I could share that as well, but as always I fell a little behind plan. Greyson and I did manage to get our "gingerbread house" made in time. However it was a little bit of a disaster. First off, we didn't make it out of gingerbread. I got an idea from a Martha Stewart magazine to make it out of graham crackers. I thought the idea was superb because it made the process a lot simpler. I already had graham crackers in the pantry and leftover frosting in the fridge, so I thought I was golden. Things started off fairly well, but the warmer the frosting got the more our little house started to fall apart. In the end it looked more like The Leaning Tower of Pisa than a Christmas gingerbread house, but luckily Greyson doesn't know the difference. All he knows is that he enjoyed making it, and that today he finally talked me into letting him eat it.




My sugar cookies on the other hand came out just perfectly for me! They are one of my favorite cookies to make, but boy do they feel like they take forever. First you have to make the dough and chill it in the fridge for 2 hours. Then you have to roll it out in small sections and cut out the cookies and bake them. Then once they cool you have to make the frosting to decorate them. Needless to say I have turned this into a 3 day project - day 1: make the dough; day 2: bake the cookies; day 3: frosting! I am sure it comes as no surprise that I am anal about the cookie process just like my tree. Poor Greyson kept trying to help me, but there really isn't much he can do other than help me poor ingredients in the bowl. I know he will have much more fun eating them anyways!




No comments:

Post a Comment