I am not one to brag, but I have to say I am pretty pleased with how the boys' costumes turned out! About a month ago I was in turmoil over what the boys were going to be for Halloween. I came up with the whole Queen and Mater concept a while back, but let's face it - there isn't exactly a plethora of Mater costumes in infant sizes out there. Even the Queen stuff I was finding in toddler sizes was ridiculously over priced and cheap looking. I had almost decided that I was just going to have to come up with another idea, but one night, when I should have been falling asleep, my mind started wandering. My husband had dragged all these cardboard boxes into the house to box things up when we were redoing our floors. Then all of a sudden it hit me - why can't I make a car out of a box!? From that moment the ideas just kept flowing, and the next morning I began creating Lightning McQueen out of a box. Though the process began well, I was convinced it would take me 2 months to make it work, still leaving Rylan without a costume. Until last weekend that is. I had gotten to the point where I was almost done with Queen, and I made up my mind that I had to at least try to make a Mater. Much to my amazement, Mater came together even faster than his pal. This past Saturday I put the finishing touches on both just in time for the boys to attend their first trunk or treat event. After just that one experience I am so glad I spent the time I did on my concept. Everyone loved their costumes - including the boys. Greyson kept telling everyone he was driving Queen and not a moment has gone by since that he doesn't ask to put his costume back on. However, the costumes are kind of lock down until Halloween is over (so they don't get completely destroyed). The best part about all of this, when I started looking around for costume ideas some of the Queen and Mater costumes were going for upwards of $100! In the end I only spent $10 of my own money to create both of these (and if I do say so myself, they look much cooler than those over priced ones I found) :-)



For Queen, I first constructed the car shape out of the box using an x-acto knife and lots of packing tape leaving the entire bottom open for Greyson's legs and body. I then covered the entire box in shiny red wrapping paper. I used google images to find pics of all of the logos and printed them on photo paper and glued them onto the car. I then cut 4 wheels out of cardboard and spray painted them black. The letters and rivets on the wheels I printed out of Microsoft Word and glued on. Lastly I attached black ribbon inside to make the straps to hang over his shoulders, so his hands are free to hold his candy bucket.



Mater began the same way - I created the basic shape out of a box, but with no hole in the bottom (since this Mater is riding and not walking). I used the cardboard tube left from the red wrapping paper I used for Queen to make his headlights and arm for the tow cable. The hook I cut out of cardboard and attached with yarn. I then covered the entire box in brown paper bags and spray painted "Mater brown" with hints of blue on top. The wheels were done the same way, but cut in half (since he needs to sit flat). The letters were again printed out and glued on. "Nose" and teeth were made out of paper bags and cardboard as well.
Things I purchased:
Red wrapping paper - $2 dollar store
2 cans of spray paint - $6 walmart
black ribbon - $2 walmart
All other supplies I already had, making my total for both costumes only $10!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment