Sorry I couldn't help myself with the title. It just seemed like the obvious choice!
Last Sunday when the flu started to fade I got motivated to start getting out my Easter decor. It might surprise you, but Easter decorations are actually my favorite. Must have something to do with the cute little bunnies. Sadly, other than Thanksgiving, it is probably the holiday that I have the least amount of decor for. Well I decided that needed to change this year. And what better way to change that than to make some wonderful homemade decorations.
Some of you might recall the ghost tree Greyson and I made for Halloween last October. Well he still talks about that, so I figured our first bit of craftiness would have to be an egg tree. Since we were all still somewhat recovering from last week's flu epidemic we decided to start small and make a trip to Walmart for some plastic eggs to decorate a bush outside. We hit the jack pot at Walmart! Not only did they have plastic eggs in about any color, shape, size or character that you could want, but they even have the eggs with the small holes in the top. Why is this important? Well back in the day when you made an egg tree you had to glue the string to the top of the egg. Now thanks to this brilliant hole invention you can just loop the string through the holes and knot it. Much simpler and quicker when your audience is a 3 year old. So on Tuesday Greyson and I looped string through all of our eggs, carried them outside and hung them on the bush.
This was all very exciting, but rather quick ending, so on Wednesday we ventured a bit further out to look for some eggs for our indoor tree. I knew I wanted something that we could paint, so we went to Michaels to look for some small wooden eggs. We didn't find wooden eggs, but we did find paper mache eggs. Now I hadn't quite thought this all the way through beforehand. Originally I wanted Greyson and Rylan to be the ones to paint the eggs. Now I am glad Rylan slept through it all cause we made quite a mess. It hadn't occurred to me how difficult it would be to paint an object that rolls when you so much as breathe on it, so we were forced to hold the eggs with our hands. Needless to say by the time we finished Greyson's hands look like they could have been hung on the tree. Luckily it was just acrylic paint and washed off easily, but it was quite a task getting him into the bathroom without him touching anything! In the end our tree turned out just perfect! How do I know!? Cause once again Greyson can't stop talking about it :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment