No Greyson isn't asking those kinds of questions yet. This is strictly about 2 of my least favorite things that come with the warmer weather. Warm sunshine I love. Having the windows open and hearing the birds sing I love. Going for walks I love. Even the pollen I can handle cause it is short-lived. But going outside and having all those pesky, itchy, buzzy little creatures swarming around you I do not! Especially when they get into the house! I am convinced that out house was built on an ancient bug burial ground or something cause every spring and summer they seem to take revenge on us inside and out. And bugs if you are reading this, if you aren't a lady bug or a butterfly then you can expect to get squished if you set foot in my house!
The ants are probably the worst. Not just any ants - those teeny tiny pin head sized ants that can get literally anywhere! And once one figures out how to get in, all 3 billion of them try to take up residency with us. I learned the hard way the other day that I can't leave my Easter candy out in my pretty Pottery Barn candy dishes anymore. Fun times.
The next worst is definitely the bees. And again not just any bees, but wasps! Their favorite place to make a home is our front porch and most frequently under our porch swing which is just swell considering I love sitting out there this time of year. I am pretty sure Greyson got stung by one last spring. I didn't see it happen but he did tell me a bee bit him about 15 minutes after the crying and screaming ended. Every year we spray and knock down their nests, but they still come back. I have read all the stuff online about painting your porch ceiling blue. Though it isn't fool proof I figure I might give it a try.
Third on the list is the spiders. Another inhabitant of our front porch. They are so bad that out house looks decked out for Halloween about 6 months before it needs to be. We have all breeds of spiders though. My personal "favorite" are the ones about the size of your fist that come out every night and build webs next to the porch lights. Or maybe it is the ones that build the invisible webs that you walk into and then spend hours trying to find all the little strands of web that are tickling you. Either way they are all right on top of my highly obnoxious list. It just so happens that as I was writing this I cam across a post on the Smiling Homemaker blog about using lemon scented Pledge to keep the spiders away. Definitely digging some Pledge out of my stock pile after I finish writing this!
Last, but certainly not least, are the mosquitoes. We are just lucky enough to have a small creek behind our neighbor's house. The town used to send somebody out to treat the water so that the mosquitoes weren't quite so bad, but due to the recent budget cuts I think that position no longer exists. At dusk you can't so much as walk from the house to the shed without getting bit by 6 or 7.
Now that I have officially scared anyone away from visiting our house in the warmer months I can tell you this. We are investigating exterminators as we speak. I am thinking our house hasn't been treated for anything in a long while and that is part of the problem. I know it won't get rid of the bugs 100%, but it has to at least help right!?
No comments:
Post a Comment