Okay trash is a very strong word, so let me explain...
Recently I have been trying to collect copies of books by my favorite authors and of course I had to start with the best of the best - Emily Giffin. If you are a female and you have not read her books then you are really missing out! I checked out one of her books from the library right after Greyson was born. I have never been a huge reader, but when I had to go back to work I needed something to take my mind off my newborn sitting in daycare. I honestly dont even remember how I found her books in the first place, but once I read one I had to read them all and within a matter of months I had done just that.
So anyways, now 3 years later I decided I needed a set of my own, and hard back at that, so I resorted to eBay for some better prices. Her original book, Something Borrowed, was the hardest to track down. Partly probably because the movie came out just last year. I ended up settling on a copy from a Goodwill somewhere in Texas. While the price was right, only $1, the goodwill auctions are very generic and don't give you any specifics about the actual condition, so I took a chance. I was a little disappointed when it came in the mail. While the actual book seemed to be in good condition, the dust jacket was very faded. What should be a light pink book looked almost white. I figured considering the price I could always resell it myself if I ever found a better copy one day. This was a couple months ago now. Then yesterday I was listing a bunch of stuff on ebay so I thought I would put the book on there to see if I got any bites. I pulled it off the shelf to figure out what edition I had. I flipped to the title page and I immediately froze in shock. There in blue ink pen was the author's signature! Yup that's right - my $1 Goodwill book is a signed collectors item and a 1st edition at that which means it was probably signed on her very first bool tour. How cool is that!? So in a matter of minutes I went from wanting to sell it on eBay to wanting to lock it away in a vault! Lol!
So anyways, it really makes me wonder how it ended up in Goodwill in the first place, but I am glad it did because now it has a permanent home on my bookshelf where I will guard it for life!

No comments:
Post a Comment