...who's the fairest of them all?
That's right - hubs and I went to go see Snow White and the Huntsman last night on our very long over due date night. I have to admit I wasn't quite sure that I wanted that to be the movie we go see. While we all know I am a fan of anything about a Disney princess, the trailer made this look a little more huntsman than Snow White if you know what I mean.
Well I am happy to report that the movie proved me wrong! While I am far from a professional movie critic, in my book they had the perfect balance of fairy tale/fantasy/Disney aspects and sword fighting/slicing and dicing as I like to call it. Basically it is the perfect movie for both men and women. I am also happy to report that, yes, there are dwarves in the movie and even happier that they played in the whole Disney concept of Snow White being understood and protected by the animals. In fact this plays a pretty big role in several parts of the movie. With that said, it is far from a happy-go-lucky Disney movie. There were actually a few points where I was a little grossed out.
Disappointments? Really my only one, and it isn't really a disappointment per say, was the choice of Kristen Stewart for the role of Snow White. I think that is mainly because when I picture Snow White, I picture someone a little sweeter and softer - someone with more of the china doll look that Disney portrays. However, this isn't Disney - far from it actually. And honestly, for this Snow White, she probably is the perfect actress for the part. Yes she has the dark hair and the fair skin, but even more important is the fact that she is a little bit of a "tough girl." Can't explain why that is important really without giving away the movie. Basically I am saying that she wasn't who I would have chosen (I have yet to figure who that is), but I can totally see why they chose her and I think she actually did the part well.
Despite all that it was an excellent movie. I always love when a movie ends up being better than I think it will be. Especially since the few movies I have seen in the theater lately didn't quite live up to the hype that their trailers depict. I guess that means I need to stop picking my movies by what Hollywood wants me to believe...

No comments:
Post a Comment