Given hubs sports history, it was only a matter of time before Greyson ended up on the soccer field. I am actually just thrilled for him to finally be able to play any sport. Little girls can put on a tutu at the age of 2 1/2, but little boys can barely play soccer at 4 or 5. Well after a lot of research I finally found a soccer camp that allowed 3 years olds, so we signed Greyson up for British Soccer Camp through Challenger Sports.
Other than the brief description online, I really had no idea what to expect. We showed up at the field bright and early last Monday morning and were greeted by an actual British soccer player. I was already impressed. Before he can even finish introducing himself, Greyson has grabbed his free soccer ball, provided by the camp, and run out onto the field with the other little boys. This doesn't surprise me really cause he has always been a pretty outgoing little boy. I just push Rylan in the stroller over to the side of the field so I can feed him some breakfast while we wait for things to begin. Not 2 minutes later I look up and see Greyson slowly walking off the field with his head down. I ask him what is wrong and he says "I don't want to play soccer." I know for a fact this isn't true cause he has been bouncing off the walls for a week about doing this. I do start to worry though cause Greyson is going through a new phase where if he gets a little scared about something he will say he doesn't want to do it anymore. After much negotiation on my part, he still refuses to go back out on the field and eventually begins to cry. To my luck, we just happened to mention the soccer camp to a friend of ours and they signed up their little boy who is about 6 months older than Greyson. Even better, they pulled up right about the time Greyson started crying. I knew that if he couldn't get him out on the field then I just might be out $76! The two of them started kicking the ball around and from that moment on everything was just peachy. (Big phew for mommy!)
Despite the large number of kids that were on the soccer field when we got there, only 3 including Greyson were actually in the 3 and 4 year old class. His coach was a female British soccer player which I also liked. She started the boys off with some simple games that helped them practice dribbling and stopping the ball. It was so cute to watch them try and stop the ball. Greyson went down a couple times before he figured out that you can't lean on the stopped ball. He seemed to really enjoy the games he was learning to cause he was playing them around the house every day when we came home. After a couple sessions their coach then set up some cones on the field and the boys had to knock the cones over by kicking the ball. I know I am biased, but I was amazed at how well Greyson was kicking the ball. His coach even commented several times about how good a kicker he was. He certainly doesn't get it from his mommy which was evident when I was invited to join in on a game or two. I knocked over one cone - I'm a ballerina what can I say!?
All in all everyone had a really good time, including me. I enjoyed snapping some pics of my little Beckham that I am sure will one day show up in his senior year book (he he). I know Greyson had a good time cause every single morning he wakes up asking if he can go back to soccer camp. Luckily we were able to find a rec league that all the boys can register for in August. In the mean time we bought him a set of his own orange cones to practice with in the backyard so he can show up all those 4 year olds in the fall!
No comments:
Post a Comment