I had an interesting experience when I stopped to get gas last night. I wasn't quite sure how to handle it, so I wanted to share it with all of you and see what you would have done.
I was standing pumping my gas after the boys and I watched hubs play some soccer last night. Out of the corner of my eye I notice a woman walking towards us. I assume she is going to ask for directions since that is usually what you encounter at a gas station. However, I was not expecting her to say the following: "Hello ma'am. I am somewhat embarrassed to be asking you this. I am from Lake Norman and I am driving to the airport to pick up my mother. I just stopped for gas and realized my son never put my debit card back in my wallet last night after buying pizza, so I have no money on me to buy gas. Is there anyway you can help me?" Now most people who walk up to you at a gas station and ask for money look rather sketchy looking. However, this woman was dressed very nicely and she was driving nice SUV so there was no part of me really that didn't believe her. My dilemma was I simply didn't know what to do. I had no cash on me to give her. There was an ATM inside, but that would have meant me taking my boys out of their carseats to go in the gas station. I simply didn't know what to say other than "I'm sorry, but I don't have any cash on me." The woman was perfectly nice. She just said "Okay thanks" and walked away. However, the whole drive home I couldn't stop replaying the situation in my mind. Thinking that there might have been something I could have done differently to help her. But I could not come up with an answer. I felt bad that I wasn't able to help her. I have kinda been in her place before. I have been in the middle of checking out at Target when I realized my entire wallet was back at the house. I had to have them hold my stuff to drive all the way home and get it and drive back to Target. It sucked. I was pissed. But life went on. Now thats not exactly like what I encountered last night. The woman never said she didn't have enough gas to drive back home and get it. She never said she didn't have someone who could come meet her. In fact after she walked away she got back in her SUV and left. But still I felt bad.
So anyways I am just curious, do you think I handled things appropriately? If it was you what would you have done?
No comments:
Post a Comment